Wednesday, June 11, 2008

God Be With You Till We Meet Again

Sister Dorothy Guthrie passed away early Monday morning. At 96 years old,she was the oldest member of our ward and an amazing example to those around her. Sister Dorothy has been a fixture in the church for as long as any of us can remember.

Not only was Sister Dorothy a great example to all those she came in contact with, she was also our connection to the past. On many occasions she has told of the hardships of the early Latter-Day Saints on the Island and has helped us to realize how blessed we are today.

One memory that will remain with us all when we think of Sister Dorothy will be her strong and unwavering testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Without a doubt, she knew he was a true prophet of God. She has told many times about how she and other members of The Church would often get picked on and teased at school because of their faith. Her mother told her to never deny that Joseph Smith was a prophet. From the day Sister Dorothy was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and until she died, she never once left any doubts about her testimony of the Gospel and the Restoration.

While Sister Dorothy will be missed, there is much comfort the knowledge of the Gospel brings. We know that this separation, although it may be difficult, will only be temporary. Through our Heavenly Father's plan, families can be together forever. One can be sure Sister Dorothy has heard the words "well done, thou good and faithful servant".

2 comments:

leah said...

I really wish I could have been there for the funeral. Thank you for sharing this tribute to Sister Dorothy. She will be sorely missed - and I can honestly say that I loved her with all my heart...

Mikal said...

I only want to be as good as I know she was! She was an inspiration to all of the Harkers Island Ward members. I truly loved the way she made me feel about myself and the gospel. I will see her again and for that I am grateful.